Monday, August 20, 2007

Have we Entered a Period of Post-Partisanship?


"Dont Draw Mi Tongue"


Saturday, the day before hurricane Dean was projected to hit Jamaica; I posted a comment on YouTube trying to find out what effect my online friends thought the impending hurricane would have on the upcoming election. I openly wondered if the calls for unity would shift the climate to one that favored the PM Mamma “P.” My calculation was that people would be dealing with loss of life and property and simply would not be in the mood for ads like “Don’t Draw Mi Tongue” which in part has contributed to the JLP inching ahead towards the close of this election cycle. I, like some others suggested that the JLP should consider holding back on this ad for a few days to assess the climate. I was concerned that it would give fuel to Mamma “P’s” supposition that the JLP only focused on the negative. I also assumed that the PM would be out surveying the disaster and issuing statements of comfort to a battered public. After all prior to the election the PM issued a safety message that led me to believe she was moving towards taking this elder stateswoman role.

My assumption at this point appears to have been wrong. The PM has instead wrongly declared a state of emergency and her party supports have released new negative ads. The nation however seems to be in a different place. Based on all the ads I have heard on radio and the messages seen on the evening news, the country appears to in a mood of national unity. Even my friend Mutty Perkins took a little heat yesterday when he opened his show with comments that were critical of the government. So rather than delaying the momentum of the JLP team the PM may have provided another opening and I am sure Bruce is wise enough to see it. With the PM signaling that she is going to continue leading her party instead of the country the possibility is there for Mr. Golding to step in and embrace the call for unifying the country. I think it’s was Marting Luther King that said the “ultimate measure of a man (person in this case) is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.” Who among them will answer the call to lead?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep quoting these dead white guys for a reason. We seem to be repeating some particularly nasty history, right now.

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet
I never found any interesting article

like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as
you did, the net will be a

lot more useful than ever before.

Also visit my web page - Http://Galaxiesunion.Com/KasiWhite1974